1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20 long planted shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by manta975, Oct 18, 2011.

1. manta975

manta975 Thread Starter New Member

So i have been itching to start up a new planted tank (as my 30 has essentially run out of room). I already have a stand that will fit a 30 Extra tall (very goofy tank dimensions lol) so i figure a 20 long will do fine on it. so here are my plan.

Tank.
    20 long

lighting: I was thinking http://www.fishneedit.com/30quot-2bulbs-fixtu302.html (since its cheep and the 4 bulb version is often said to be decent for reef tanks.)

filter: no clue but i live ehime now. was thinking the 2211 no clue how small it is tho but $55 on amazon. (Is that overkill for a 20 long shrimp tanks, will the intake oven fit in the tank lol)

Substrate: no clue here either, any suggestions that wont cost me $40 in sand lol (looking for sand too btw haha want this to be nutrient rich enough i can keep red plants red. adding clay to it maybe)

not gonna go no Co2 unless i get like $300 after the holidays.

The Livestock plants.
    Fish: only pygmy cory cats and otto cats(how many cories could i have reasonably in a planted 20 L with say 4 otto cats)

Plants.
    this i am just gonna have to do some hardcore research to see what i like, but i do know i want lots of driftwood with moss, anubius and other plants that grow on wood.

Don't think i'm missing anything oh duhh the shrimp. This i would hold off till last as i would kill for some good locking blue tigers but there quite expensive and i don't want to risk losing shrimp that cost 11 bucks each, also just fell real bad when things die. (why i chose ottos and corry cats relitvly hard to kill, my ottos have out lasted all my other fish through disease. random filter failures. and 2 cross country moves.)

with the fish need it light, ehime 2211, 20 L, corries i should spend around 160-180 bucks i think leaving me with $200 for future shrimp and plants/drift wood.

so hows this look for a set up? Fell free to suggest anything, different filter, lighting (could try to build my own lights looks like garbage but cheep and powerful) plant suggestions anything obvious i missed. Since this is a fairly accevable thing i want to do i will most lily not just abandoned this idea later after thinking more haha wanted a shrimp tank for ages now,

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

SIMILAR SETUP:
    I'm currently running a planted 20gallon long with a pair of dwarf orange mexican crayfish, various freshwater shrimp, and bn pleco babies. You can follow the link in my signature for the equipment I use on mine if your looking for ideas.

Question, why would you want a light geared for reefs...4 bulbs is some serious overkill and will require the use of co2. Unless that's the route you plan on wanting to go? Also, you might want to do a glass or diy (lexan/plexi-glass) canopy with that many bulbs just to help avoid evaporation.

hiya Myself, I'm a fan of low maintenance...that's why I went the route of the full canopy & mostly low light plants. No ferts, No co2..just amazing growth!

I run a 2236 on mine, overkill is fine...but you want to make sure with ANY filter besides a sponge that you place a prefilter over the intake. I got mine on clearance at Petco for $86 and it came with quite a bit of media :)

I will say that while I love the quietness of the Eheim...I do wish they would have make the intake/outtake tubes wider diameter wise as they do tend to get gunked up quite easily. For this reason I wish I would have did a Rena Filstar Xp4 with a stainless steel prefilter for the intake.
    Stainless Steel Prefilters can be seen at various places online, but a retailer that quickly comes to mind is here--> http://theshrimplab.com/store/?p=464

Pool Filter Sand would be your cheapest option, but in my personal opinion Black Sand & Background is what make any freshwater shrimp really "pop".

I got my Tahitian Moon Sand @ Petsolutions for I believe $16.99 per 20Lb Bag (they price matched Petco...who was out of stock when I wanted to order several bags for my 90g). IF you go through Petco, use bigcrumbs click through and an online coupon code to save even more money :)

-->Tractor Supply Company is SUPPOSED to carry something that's similar to the Tahitan Moon sand, but for less money..But I've never used it/seen it so I can't comment.

Oh, if your looking for gravel you may want to check out Wal-mart for PeaGravel...it's really cheap and comes in large bags.

I'd say about 5, but know that they can eat any baby shrimp.

I can tell you with moss that it will quickly fill in. I have it stapled to one main focal piece of driftwood and it REALLY took off to the point I have to trim it back bi-weekly. IF your doing high light you might end up with algae issues with your anubius so just be mindful of lighting and plant selection.

Probably about right, If you have a Petco nearby give them a check for the tank...they may still be running their $1 per gallon tank sale.

-> HEATER:
    I think your forgetting about this, you'll probably want a submersible and if your not planning on hiding it with plants you might want to make sure it's black (if your backgrounds black too).

-> FOOD:
    Mine LOVE the Mosura Specialty Crystal Red Shrimp Food & Blanched Lettuce. They go NUTS for both.
    *I use a screwcumber for the lettuce, but others simply use a fork.

These are just my personal preferences, I'm sure others will give you some additional great ideas too!

3. manta975

Forgot about the heater lol. Never ran one on my 30 so I forgot about that.also the light I was going to run is only 2 bulbs' do you still think two t5hos would be too much if I was going no co2. It's also not really geard towards reef it's just a lot of people like the 4 bulb version for reefs but most people say the two bulb is too weak so I thought it might do fine for a planted tank. Also not worried about losing baby shrimps as long as the adults are fine and enough survive to keep the pop about the same.

4. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

48 watts of T5HO is ubber lighting over a 20 long and will probably lead to MAJOR algae problems IMO.

5. manta975

Any suggestions for a lighting set up then. I could always build my own if our came down to it. :oops:

6. manta975

so i got the official OK from my dad to start a new tank, and i have the money to do this so expect to see a new tank thread type thing soon, just need to confirm what i want hardware wise. Also looking into Co2 as i have read it isnt impossible to get a decent Co2 system for $100 If i can manage to find or piece together a decent $100 or so Co2 system i will go Co2.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my opinion, I'd do low-tech and t5ho would definately cause you algae issues ime.

I'd definately suggest a setup similar to mine, I do nothing but feed the lil boogers...and of course do my normal weekly partials and monthly filter maintenance.

If your doing co2 and wanting to shell out that kind of money then t5ho lighting would be fine...but it's going to be REALLY bright - the inverts will need sunglasses. lol!

If your looking for simple, then do your:
    {*}basic
    30x12x12 $20 if Petco's still doing the $1 per gallon sale

{*}30x12 flourescent
    (color to match the trim of your tank. ie oak/black)...seen here for $42 after shipping--> http://www.roxiespetden.com/Recessed-Hood_p_71782.html or if you need other things you could do petmountain being they have free shipping after spending $49

{*}Aquarium
    $10.59 (I like mounting them on the side walls to make them less noticeable)...here's a reasonably priced one at petmountain-->
    ps. 100w & 150w is 10.7" long and will fit on the sidewall even with substrate :)

{*}Aquarium
    $5.40 at petmountain (I love the tom temp alerts, but being they're about $20 I'll link you to another good digital one being they are the most accurate ime) http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... riums.html

{*}
    assuming you're wanting a canister could be your beloved Eheim, or something along these lines...
    --> $50.36 Magnum 250 http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... llon-.html
    --> $66.84 Magnum Pro 250 http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... o-250.html
    --> $85.49 Rena Filstar Xp1 http://www.petmountain.com/product/aqua ... ilter.html

{*}
    price varys depending on what you're wanting for the tank, again Petco/Petsolutions seems to be cheapest for store bought substrates. BUT pool filter sand or PeaGravel would be your cheapest alternatives. I don't advise using petmountain for substrate as they upcharge a heavyweight fee of $9.99 per bag.

{*}
    IF you choose to use. Normally $1.99 per foot so you'd be looking at $6.00...If you want a permanent background option you could spray paint it too which would cost you less (1 can of spray paint). I didn't link to any at petmountain because they force you to buy the entire roll.

{*}
    ...if your looking for a one store online order could be Hikari Shrimp Cuisine at Petmountain for $3.89
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/trop ... 442-517309

{*}
    (these are great for catching shrimp) at petmountain for $1.34
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/fish ... 442-515003

{*}
    systems don't have to be super expensive, you could use something like this for $26.78 @ petmountain http://www.petmountain.com/product/new- ... ystem.html (Note that at least at my petco you could score these units for a couple dollars and the refills for under $1 a package so you may want to call yours and see if they have any in their clearance bins availble?
    ...ALSO if using this I believe you will need an airpump & a check valve? On the forum I know there's also a diy version along with a recipe for the yeast.

{*}
    /Wood for tying plants could be Mopani as you wouldn't need to worry about weighing it down. Petmountain starting at $4
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/natu ... 442-513020

>>Didn't bother linking to siphon, test kit, or quality dechlorinator figuring you probably already had this stuff being you have another tank already setup and the only reason I provided links all to petmountain is to try and help save you money in getting everything at once place utilizing the free shipping. OF COURSE you could shop around/buy used/check thriftstores to try and save even more $.

8. HBIC

If you are going to go that route with CO2 you can set it up yourself with some soda bottles yeast and sugar and it will cost nothing basically.

9. manta975

fond a regulator with needle nove valve, 5lb tank and a defuser for 101.2 shipped all from different seelers, so hopefully i will be getting a pressurised Co2 set up, if i do end up gettign that i will go with the T5HOI lighting or maybe look for something less haha. type more later when hme

10. manta975

I'm committed now. My dad just ordered the regulator now (great deal on a refurbished one) since they only had 3 left and he wanted one too and they where selling really fast. Ordering a 5lb tank and difuser once I am home. Still thinking if the light is over kill or not. Tallied my total cost to about 290. So only 100 bucks for plantsnow but hey I will live.

11. HBIC

With pressurized CO2 and correct fert dosing those lights will be fine but I would suggest some fast growing stem plants to help with the uptake of nutrients.

12. manta975

so i am 110 bucks in now haha no going back as i see it. Ordered the regulator, 5lb aluminum tank, and a defusers, (all tho the defuser is being sent to pheonix oregon and not columbus ohio that should be fixed by tomorrow) going to order the ehime 2211 tomorrow or maybe Saturday as i am doing band stuff until 11. And i need to find a comparable light at a similar price as i cant seem to purchase the one i currently want. (paypal being stupid) then just need to pick up a tank heater and maybe sub substrait and i can have this thing running with water in probably 2 weeks when all the stuff arrives. Alos decided on putting my four galaxy rasboras into this tank once its up good with the corry cats and ottos.

Do you know any light comparable to that one or one that would be good at around that price. (this included the bulbs) I will be running Co2 so i am going for a high light Co2 tank. hopefully i can finally have a lush carpet of HC and some hair grass that spreads a little lol.

13. manta975

just kidding last try and i got the order to go through so i have ordered my Co2 stuff and lights.

14. manta975

Update on this I went with a 29 gallon as i thought since my light is apparently so strong and i want plants it will reduce the light towards the bottom and allow me to have taller plants, same lights and filter as the light is 30 in and the filter was rated for like 45-50 gallons, got quite a bit of pool filter sand in there now and i got my defuser yesterday and walked home to see my 5lb tank waiting on the door step .

15. manta975

got everything but the regulator and livestock now. regulator should be here by tomorrow, funny how its the first order placed but last received.the lights are sick by the way, really liking them so far.