1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

29 gal suggestions for Goldies.

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by FishVixen, Jun 1, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

Well Rick and Nossie and all there praise of Goldies got my MTS in full swing LOL. I currently will have a 29 gal (30"x12"x18") that within a month will be available to stock. Well at least start cycling. There is a hood with 2 24' T8 daylight (6500K) bulbs with 6 double (blue) LED. 2 20/40 HOB,and a 200 watt heater. I would like to have glass substrate of some type (marble?) with large smooth edged glass rocks if I can find them for decor. I'm going to old post to investigate further as to stocking and set up. MTS has hit yet again. :)

2. nossie

nossie Member

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:21 am

Tee hee c: That sounds really nice! What kind of goldfish are you thinking about? :D

3. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 am

If you paid shipping.
    I'll cut you a deal on some "AA" goldfish.
    The down side is you'll have to trust me to pick them.

Rick

4. FishVixen

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 am

At this point it's still just a thought. I need to really investigate how to set up a coldwater tank and then set it up , cycle it and find the funds. LOL Before I purchase anything you know the two of you Will be bugged to death. As I started fish keeping in 1968 I have never really even investigated goldfish. I really know nothing about them but less fish and more space needed. Rick what is the aprox. current cost of "AA" goldfish? I really like the chocolate/bronze colors, long fins, short body styles. (sorry I do not know the different breeds even). What about a 29 gal (30" x 12"x 18") I'm thinking of opening this tank up for new stock. It would have to be torn down and redone I have a (wal-mart brand) 20/40 HOB and a whisper 20/40 on the tank, hood has 2 24" T8 daylight (6500K) bulbs and 6 double blue LED's, Huge chunk of driftwood, 200 watt heater and pea gravel.
    I would probibaly do a Marble (glass) substrate

5. FishVixen

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:13 am
    How hard would it be to clean? Any suggestions on unusual substrates appreciated. I would also like to find Large rounded glass rocks for decor. (red colorations). Well I know I've written a book here but my mind is wandering on how to add Goldies to my stock cheaply and safely.

6. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

1968 was a LLLLLLLLLLLLONG time ago, ahh the smell of napalm and burning bra's!!!!

Ive kept native fish before, they are cold water fish and I dont think the set up would be different.

what you have there seems fine, and from what I understand goldfish move the substrate to their liking like alot of cichlids do.

Good Luck on it, I know my ex loved her little moor's, I personally just see a fancy carp but I do have alot of resources availble at my fingertips and am willing to help any way I can. PM me to remind me to go thru my books and articles ive saved over the past 15 years.

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

Substrate. Gravel provides a breeding ground for bacteria that eat debris and can cause disease. Gravel can also be a hazard if goldfish swallow it or get it stuck in their throats. Either use a layer of gravel small enough to pass through a goldfish (course sand), or use a single layer of larger rocks too large to fit in their mouths. You can also have a bare-bottomed tank, but goldfish love to dig so they are happier in a tank with substrate.

Plants. Plants can be used with goldfish but it is not always an easy thing. Goldfish like to think of plants as their own salad bar and you may have to try a few before having success. Good ones to start with are java fern, Anacharis, java moss, Sword plants, dwarf Anubias and Crypts.
    Find plants they do not like.
    Use plants that float - hey they cannot be uprooted
    Use plants that can be tied down - you're one up on them with this one
    Find alternative ways to pot your rooted plants. Use clay pots with substrate. I have used plastic mesh to help keep the plants in place.
    Plant several at a time. It may just confuse them too much
    Try semi-aquatic plants. They are green and there a couple that will utilize nutrients from the water and do fine even if submerged. And for some reason most goldfish do not like to eat these.

Keep a stable temperature, Goldfish can adjust to a wide range of temperature as long as you don't have big swings. My goldfish are kept @ about 80*F in the summer without a problem.
    pH should be over 7 (preferably over 7.4). However if your KH (which measures your alkalinity) is low (under 80 PPM) you may see pH swings and if you experience pH drops between waterchanges you should look into increasing your alkalinity (KH) so your pH stays stable. Crushed coral or crushed oystershell added to a high flow area can also be used to increase KH and keep pH stable Some general hardness (GH) makes for happier fish.
    Provide large surface area. Goldfish fare better in tanks that are long, rather than tall. Longer tanks provide a larger surface area for optimal gas exchange.
    Make sure there is surface movement. If the filter does not provide movement add some airstones.
    Do not overstock. More fish means less oxygen per fish.
    Perform partial water changes weekly or biweekly (20-60%) to take care of the waste not dealt with in the biological cycle and to replenish the minerals and other good stuff the goldfish have used up.
    If you take care of the water, the water will take care of the fish

Feed goldfish once or twice a day (more often if they are babies and juveniles)
    Feed a varied diet
    Do not overfeed.
    If you feed dry food (pellets or flakes) make sure they are good quality ones and not too old
    Feed a varied diet of shrimp; krill and some live foods such as daphnia and worms. .
    Omnivores like their vegetables. Feed washed greens, spirula, peas, oranges, mellons most any thing you can think of a goldfish will eat it.
    Some goldfish are sensitive to dry food - particularly dry flakes. You may have to presoak your dry food or if see problems (like flipover) eliminate it from the diet.

I also have a ton of resources available so just let me know what you need.I'm sure between all of us we can find what you need

Rick

8. nossie

nossie Member

A tank for goldfish isn't far from any ;) Just skip on the heater thermostat, or set it on 20-24 degrees :) I keep my tank at about 20-22 degrees without a heater.
    And the stocking of a goldfish tank is a bit different than calculating the stocking levels of other tanks, a common way of thinking is that one adult fish needs a minimum of 20 gallons, and then you add another 10 for each additional goldfish. And the filter needs to have twice the capacity as the tank, as in a 40 gallon tank needs a filter for an 80 gallon.
    Fancy, eggshaped goldfish need a varied diet and a good quality staple pellet as a base + veggies such as peas, lettuce, cucumber... along with some frozen or freeze-dried live foods. Otherwise they may get constipated and develop swim bladder issues as a consequence. I fed mine some small piece of banana recently, they seemed to like tearing it apart xD

Here's a good site with different breeds described: <a class="postlink" href="http://exoticgoldfish.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://exoticgoldfish.net/</a>
    I have a little chocolate Oranda that I call Claymore, he's a really beautiful, eggshaped fish ;) They are included in the link as well! :D

Ask absolutely anything you need to know more about goldfish! I'd be happy to help :D