1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

75 gallon freshwater predatory tank mates

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Nsharp, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nsharp

Nsharp Thread Starter New Member

setting up a 75 gallon freshwater predatory tank want a good mix of beasts would prefer not all the same kind of fish wants some good set ups for a 75 I know some will outgrow that tank but that’s all I have right now thx for the help

2. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

That's a very open ended request and could apply to many types of fish. With a tank that size I'd prefer cichilds of different varieties. I find them closest to saltwater fish in terms of their interesting behavior and smarts. Favorites are aggressive types like Oscar, Jack Dempsey, Red Devil, Texas, Green Terror, and Jewel. You can also consider pufferfish and bichir, which are favorites. But like many aggressive species, they can and will be territorial. You might be able to keep two small Oscar cichlids in a 75 gallon. But if you want tank mates you need to choose other than African cichlids whose needs are different. Plecos can work. Perhaps a Green terror. But as you know the deal, you need to kep an eye on the tank.