1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Crayola Play Sand

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MOD_Dawn, Apr 25, 2012.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

Crayola Play Sand was found at my local wal-mart for just under $7 for a 20lb bag.
    I opted to use one full bag of the blue in my 10 gallon.

Other colors (Green, Purple, Pink, & the Blue I used) can be viewed here--> http://Crayola Sand

If you'd like specific information regarding this product go here--> http://Crayola Contact

The 3 attached photos were taken literally seconds after adding it to the 10 gallon and mind you this was AFTER tons of rinsing that seemed to make no difference whatsoever.

What I've Noticed:
    This stuff is MUCH finer than any sand that I've used in the past (pool filter sand, playsand, & even CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand) and I'm already wondering if it'll swirl about when I go to do partial via the Python No Spill Clean n' Fill. As for the color, you can see for yourself that it's quite vibrant when added to water.

Questions for others who have used this:
    1. why after tons of rinsing am I still ending up with these microbeads of sand? Both on the top layer of the substrate and across the surface of the water too.
    -->I have already tried "squishing" them between my hand and it seems pretty futile. When I try to "net" them out that takes away nearly ALL of the substrate amazingly.
    2. will it simply settle over time?
    3. any suggestions on what to do in order to "force" it to settle?
    4. does it "swirl" about when fish swim over it due to it's "lightness"? (will it "swirl" about when trying to siphon for partials)?

First photo = full tank shot
    Second photo = surface shot (showing sand beads on surface of water)
    Third photo = substrate shot (showing sand beads on surface of substrate)

IMG_3812.JPG IMG_3814.JPG IMG_3813.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I would be scared to death to use that with inverts.

3. MOD_Dawn

UPDATE:
    all the microbeads of surface sand have now sunk, however I still have a majority of the substrate covered with them.

Their is nothing in this tank, I used it moreso as a "test" setup...and from the looks of it thus far, it appears I'll be returning the 5 bags of pink that I picked up for the 90g.

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i had the microbeads at first while i was rinsing mine, haven't seen/had any since i put it in the tank. i kept the water running in the bucket til it overflowed, left it like that for awhile (maybe a good 100 gal) and stired the sand around several times.

5. MOD_Dawn

hmm...i stirred it constantly while running high presssured water through it. I did the same too, by letting alot of the water spill off.
    i'm down to substrate surface ones now that i can't seem to "smoosh" down & they float all over when the surface is disturbed?

6. MOD_Dawn

2ND UPDATE
    I'm left with about 25% of the substrate covered in microbeads of sand...it appears that they are "dissolving" on their own. Yay!
    IMG_3815.JPG

7. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

It is actually very pretty but I still wouldn't use it.

8. MOD_Dawn

pretty and safe, I saw a post elsewhere where a crayola rep posted in regards to it's safeness so to say.

The thing I don't like in regards to it's use in aquariums is that it's too fine...I'm pretty sure if I go to siphon it most of the sand will be sucked out in comparison to Tahitian moon sand which gravitates back down. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do I'll be sure to deny/confirm that.

I COULD see this used in a hermit crab tank though!

9. buzz4520

i've allready siphoned (gravity siphon, no fachet adapter) mine...substrate change over caused a mini cycle so i did a 50% water change...i placed a african dwarf frog food pellet in the tank and tried to see if i could siphon it up and got about 1/4" above it and started sucking up the sand instead of the pellet. it didn't do too bad at siphoning up the fish poo.

10. MOD_Dawn

thanks for the confirmation, that's what I was worried about- it being so light that it sucked up easily when siphoning. I too like using sand because it's easier to suck up the waste off it (doesn't get buried down in like say with gravel).

I'm sure for small fish the sand would work, but I'm pretty sure with the discus "blowing" around tahitian moon that they'll surely have this stuff swirling and in my intakes in no time. Wish it was "heavier" so to speak.

11. buzz4520

for (kids) play sand you'd think that it would be a "heavier" sand. just think of what my oscars (aquatic bulldozers) would do with this sand in their tank.

12. MOD_Dawn

Maybe they are making it lighter just in case kids bury theirselves in it?
    I know I watched a show the other night (early am hours) and it had to do with trauma/disasters and dude dug a hole on a beach & the sand collapsed around the trench and buried him.

Oscars would have this stuff all inside your intake= burned up filter.

13. buzz4520

@ Dawn, have you yet/or are you going to put fish in this tank with the crayola sand ? The reason I ask is that I can't keep mine (10g w/pink sand) cycled. Found 4 more dead guppies Friday evening & had .25ppm ammonia. Saturday morning changed out about 5-6gal of water & all the other fish/frogs look fine and are very active. Checked water again this morning (Sunday) & readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates. Since the change to the crayola sand, the nitrates hasn't gone above 5ppm where as before it would be 10-15ppm between water changes. Imo I think there's something within the make up of this sand that may affect the life/growth of benifical bacteria.

14. MOD_Dawn

I only had one the discus in there for 3 days to give him a break, he kept trying to go muck with the pair that bred and wasn't learning his lesson. Seemed fine when he was in there with the sand (no negative effects noted that is), but after 3 days and someone almost banging a chair into the tank I opted to add him back to the main rather than chance a broken tank and water spilling everywhere.

I returned my extra bags that I had planned on using in the 90g because it was just too fine and I didn't want 90% of it in my sink clogging it up (python no spill clean n' fill).

I've read elsewhere where people had used it and they didn't have any issues, but if I were you i'd keep testing it with all those losses...including testing your water source- or simply swap it out.

15. buzz4520

I 've all ready tested my water source, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrates, 7.4ph. NOW, this whole time, I was only checking for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates in the tank until awhile ago. I don't know why I hadn't checked before, ph in the tank. Well, I checked the ph & its like WAY below 6.0 (api master test kit), test tube came out really really light hint of yellow. Then I checked the ph in the 20 & 55, both of them came out to just darker than 7.2ph. It appears to me that the crayola play sand reduces water ph levels big time !
    On that note, the fish & frogs have been moved to the 5g until we can redo the 10g with a different sand.

16. MOD_Dawn

see, I wouldn't think of testing pH as mine always tests light yellow (api freshwater master test kit- liquid).
    I think that's why I have such good luck with the discus.

after a bit of reading about the crayola sand I found out the following:
    Here's a safety data sheet on the product itself--> http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/uploads/4c78b54e-83dc-7148.pdf

Myself, if I had lost that many things in my tank I think I'd contact crayola and give them a heads up...maybe they'll know something about the shift in pH that you're experiencing with it?

Also, as a side note even after it sat in my 10g it still "bubbled" when I siphoned through it.