1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

DIY Eggcrate Lid

Discussion in 'Aquarium Articles' started by California Cowgirl, Aug 29, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

I owe have of the work to Dawn for saying how to do it so thanks so much for your advise it worked out beautifully so i will post what she said.

I don't have pictures of us making it but i have pictures of the final project.

(Directions from Dawn)

1. have all equipment on tank that will reach into the water (ie filters, skimmers, tubing)

2. shape the eggcrate to the remaining opening-->I break a cardboard box down and lay it over the tank and use that for the template...thenuse a dremmel or similar to cut the eggcrate to the size/shape needed.

3. once cut and all equip is hanging on tank lay the eggcrate on top (same idea as glass canopy here).

4. put light fixture on with MOUNTING legs or hanging it a few inches about the tank using chain or similar.

5. NOW you can see how much spacing will be IN FRONT of the light fixture...I'd suggest if your using mounting legs on the fixture that you mark this area of the eggcrate with perm. marker and cut it leaving you two pieces..then grab some long zip ties and LOOSELY zip the two pieces together at the seam where you just did the cut...this will enable you to OPEN the eggcrate canopy just like a glass canopy.

shape the eggcrate to your opening (be sure to allow clear. for all equip hanging on back of tank that reach into the water)
    028.JPG 029.JPG 031.JPG 030.JPG

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice, looks PERFECT! Soo glad it's working out for you and I'm sure you were able to see the savings.

Sheet of eggcrate/light diffuser (normally about $25-$30 for a 2'x4' panel)--> Hardware store such as Lowes or Home Depot

Package of zip ties (.97 to $1.97 depending on size/thickness/color)-->
    Can get at Hardware store such as Lowes or Home Depot, but also dept. stores such as Wal-Mart

For a quick comparison, this is what my local lfs charges for glass tops (canopies)-->
    biggest being 30x30 @ $41.99
    smallest being 18x18 @ $23.99

3. California Cowgirl

thanks :D and awesome info that you added should really help people who want to try it to stop their fish from jumping out

lol funny thing about the zipties my dad made me get a mix of 650 zipties for like $7 something, i have no idea what he will do with 650 of them :D

4. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

nice job,look great !

5. California Cowgirl

6. angelLuver

angelLuver New Member

your welcome sweets !

7. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

looks real good...good job ;)

8. California Cowgirl

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

very nice i do that but i use cerram wrap(idk how to spell but the thing u use to wrap un eaten food lol) and wrap it so less evaporation

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha! I use zip ties for everything....keeping my plugs neat (loop the excess and zip it)...I've used them on sponges before to create a diy sponge filter (wrap and zip)...on media bags when the drawstring was crap (gather and zip)...when I made the diy moss wall (Zipped the edges together of the needlepoint/yarn like sheet stuff at walmart)...on my java moss when I had a 15 g and wanted to grow it on driftwood (lightly zipped around the branch)...around the tubing/connector of canister filters when I've overtightened the clippy thingys (zip around outter tubing where it connects to the canister)...can you tell I like zip ties? Lol!

Zip ties, staple guns and duct tape can fix the world :)

11. California Cowgirl

ohhh interesting never herd of cerram wrap being used

12. California Cowgirl

haha never knew there was so much use for zipties

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

never heard of using Plastic Wrap/Saran Wrap before...guess it would be okay as long as your water isn't up to the crate lid.

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea i use it and it works because it stinks sometimes when the lid is like that so i covered it also for lose holes in the lid some tape and foil works xD

15. BobV

BobV Member

that eggcrate material also works great under the substrate in african tanks. It allows the weight of the rocks to be spread out over a large area and prevents pressure points from rock edges. It allows for a much higher pile of rocks.

16. California Cowgirl

in saltwater people like to do what BobV mentioned also for the live rock

17. gsoul55

gsoul55 New Member

Doesn't that suck as fas as evaporation goes? And anything in the air could just fall right through the egg crate. It must do a number on the light fixture overtime. All that moisture just getting into it. I like the idea about putting it in the bottom of the tank. Why not just buy a sheet of plexi glass from home depot for the cover. That seems a lot better than egg crate.

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

thats why i wraped mines

19. metrofish

metrofish New Member

i like thank u