1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

How to move cichlid fry?

Discussion in 'Discus' started by Anonymous, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I need to move my convict babies and parents to another tank so I can restock and rescape the tank they're in for Discus.

The fish have been free swimming for a few days now and they are moving around the tank.

If I scoop them out and move them and the parents, will the parents continue to take care of them or will they forget whose fry they are?

ANY help on moving fry is greatly appreciated it, I am moving them tonight if I can do it safely

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Personally I wouldn't move the fry so soon, with the parents anyway. Doing this can cause them to eat the fry.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

What would happen if I move all but the fry then move the fry last once the parents settle into the new tank? Will they still eat them?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's possible. The stress from the move can cause them to eat them and not protect them any longer.

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ah!

That's no good. I had no clue and I've already started preparing the tank. I will move all of the others into the new tank and keep the parents and fry in there a little longer or put the fry in a 5 gallon by themselves. I have "hikari's first bites", so if I put them in a tank by themselves, will they still make it ok?

The parents are fighting from time to time already, I have no clue as to why, they are usually peaceful.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah if you can put the fry in a tank of their own that should work perfectly.