1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Julidochromis Ornatus

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Alleycat, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Alleycat

Alleycat Thread Starter Member

One of the smaller julies and vivid coloration, nasty to each other, but can get along in a tang community tank with rocks,caves, or decorations to hide in and call home. My 2 pairs have spawned several times but the fry disappear quickly due to predation. They'll have their own home soon.

ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee237_Alleycat044_020_1.jpg
    ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee237_Alleycat044_Assorted_20Fish_20Shots_009_3.jpg
    ai233.photobucket.com_albums_ee237_Alleycat044_Fish_20For_20sale_058.jpg

Thanks for looking

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

We had something like this at the pet store I worked at. If I was to get into another fish, these would likely be them, lol. I love that yellow, black and white look!

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Melanochromis Auratus perhaps MasterBlue?

4. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

HBIC, your post reminded me of this photo I found about the similarities between Tanganyika and Malawi.
    [​IMG]

5. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

@HBIC I'm not sure. It was in a mixed cichlid tank. BTW, the pet store I worked at was using old Walmart tanks. And still is. Someone used steel wool to clean them, so you can imagine how clear the glass is, lol.

We also had 2 of those Frontosa guys. They liked to be petted on the bulge on there heads and eat baby mice. They were big fish, feedings for them daily went like this: 1 Algae cube, 3 small gold fish, every third day a baby mouse. They were under fed in my opinion, being fed only once a day. But, it took them a while to eat the gold fish, but still.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wth? I've never heard of feeding fish mice?

7. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Larger fish are fed them quite often, although I don't think that the types of cichlids master is talking about should be fed mice.

8. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

Pinkies, freshly born. I was more commanded to do it than wanted to do it. But, I still admit, it was fifty to see how much they liked the mice.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

*in her disgusted girly voice* that's absolutely GROSS! eww.