1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

just an interesting story to tell

Discussion in 'Livebearer Fish' started by steves_kiki, Jun 26, 2010.

1. steves_kiki

steves_kiki Thread Starter New Member

Ok...so when I was in middle school...back in the day... haha... I bred guppys, blue moon platys, sunset platys, and red velvet swords. Well, my favorite female sword was pregnant(overly so) and ended up passing away while giving birth. Well, I don't remember how many she dropped, but I know I was so upset when she passed and still saw babies in her belly, so I got my pocket knife and cut her belly open. Tons of babies and ova were squeezed out and out of I don't remember how many babies I had "rescued" only 1 survived to adulthood. I don't know if it was because of the stress of not being born naturally, but it ended up looking like an albino with black eyes. I eventually got out of livebearers but I thought it was an interesting (yet gorey) story. Has anyone else cared for a fish that much? :)
    Kin

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I did that for a few of my Endlers. With my recent health decrease I had a few of the survivors die in birth. So, in desperation I opened them up and managed to save a few fry. Those are now quite healthy and are almost fully colored up ^^

3. nossie

nossie Member

Oh, that's pretty cool! O_O

While I was keeping guppies, no females died while being pregnant/giving birth as far as I noticed, but... it's still quite interesting! ;D

4. Jaren117

Jaren117 New Member

cool story maybe i will do it if my female died to rescue my fry and thanks for the story