1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

LFS in Richmond

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MonteSS, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

update - was in lakeside fin & feather tonight and they have cleaned everything up a great deal! none of the overgrown algae (still some, just not a ridiculous amount) is on the fronts of the tanks anymore, and all of the fish look great!

side note for anyone looking - they had someone drop off the two most beautiful albino oscars i have ever seen (and the guy cleaning the tanks agreed) to them today. not sure if they are planning on selling them, but they are near perfect.

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

They usually give them away to people who have tanks to support them. If they have them for a while, they charge a little because of the money they spend on food and meds if needed.

They give them away though usually knowing that they dont really have enough room for happy fish.

I know, I have given them many fish!

3. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, I have given them some fish too... I talked to the owner when he opened the Broad Street store and said he's cut back on his fish because there aren't as many people in the hobby anymore. He did say that if sales on fish were good in the new store he would expand the selection. I've been getting all of my fish from him lately.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

any health issues with the fish you've gotten? how long have you kept them in quarantine before adding them to your main tanks?

5. LemonDiscus

Personally I find all of their fish quite healthy.... IF they do have problems they wont sell them. (Lakeside store) There was a point a few of the tanks had Ich and they had signs up "Not for sale" on those tanks... and when they dont and you ask for a fish that is sick they will tell you its sick and if you would like it come back later.

I dont quarantine and have never had their fish cause any health issues to my Discus. I would never add their water to mine, but I do net them out of the bag/bucket after acclimating and place them directly into the main tank.

I received an order for 20 Cardinal Tetras a few weeks back. They were sold to me directly from their supplier (they were still in the bag they were shipped in, my request). When I got them they were only showing a slight loss in color (this is how tetras show stress). After adding them to my tank they got their color back and I have only lost 4 which is not bad considering it is luck by numbers with tetras all together. I was the one that took the mortality rate that the pet store usually gets.... I did ask for it that way for business reasons with them though so keep that in mind.

I would NEVER put a Petco fish in my tank, quarantine or not! Petsmart fish are OK but it depends on what species you are getting.... I did not like Pet Club, I just had some personal issues with them..... Azalea's has the BEST selection but the owner I cannot tolerate to see so I NEVER go there..... Perfect Pets is OK but I dont go there as I really just went to support Bill before....

That leaves Fin and Feather! And yes as with anywhere they do have problems from time to time (no place is perfect) but the staff is friendly and VERY helpful! The owner (both locations) is also one of the best guys I have met along with the managers at the Lakeside location!

6. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I would have to agree. I've only had one sick fish come from there and the owner gave me everything I needed, for free, to get my tank healthy again... You cant beat the service you get there... Fin and Feather that is.

7. ira

ira Member

Azalea is the old"s aquarium store in richmond and Keith does take getting uses too. I have known him for 33 years. FIn and FEATHER IS THE OLDS PET STORE. Melvin owns both stores they have gone downhill thelast few years. Fish tailes is pet shop .But Linda gets some good fish in.

8. LemonDiscus

I am a VERY tolerant person... first visit he was funny, second I wanted to kill him he ticked (being forum friendly) me off and he is knowledgeable with what he has but not everything. He masquerades himself like he knows it all and he does not!!! :confused:

Melvin is nice, and yes he is going downhill and I am sad to see it.... Keith... annoying... Linda.... I dont know about her well, but yes I still occasionally shop there. My issue with Lina at Perfect Pets was the increase on bulk bird food prices.... she raised them like almost $2 per lb... The fish are good and the fish manager knows more than many!

9. ira

ira Member

I don't know how long you have ben keeping fish,but you may remenberthe Raven in seven pines .Ed Andre the owner the best shop ever in the richmond area. he had fish the others wish they could find. But Ed was hard to get know. I could give you a complet history ofshops inrichmond.

10. LemonDiscus

I actually kept birds before getting back into fish.... So my preferred store was Perfect Pets for that reason..... Now with fish Fin and Feather....

No I used to live in Louisa so I still dont know all the stores over the years... only from the past 5-6 years or so I have been learning them all here.

11. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

The fish manager at Perfect Pets is pretty knowledgeable. I still prefer Fin and Feather. Melvin has said that if people would start buying fish again he would start stocking more. A lot of people have given up the hobby so its hard to find a good pet store that stocks a good variety of fish. Guess we all need to start spending more money huh???:)

12. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

To resurrect this thread, I'd like to point out that Keith at Azalea is an odd guy, very opinionated, and loves to QUIZ you on your knowledge, but you gotta take him with a grain of salt. He comes across as antagonistic but I do not think he means to be. I've dealt with him for years and he will buy my fish, even older ones, and is very frank with me about what I plan to do. He's not someone who researches or discusses fish on the internet, so there are many fish that he calls "internet fish" because they are discussed heavily there but are not often seen in local shops. He appears to have disdain but don't take him seriously - he's looking at things as a fish lover but also a businessman. He used to get under my skin quite a bit but then I just quit worrying about it and he's fine. He's one of the most knowledgeable fish store owners I've run into. Don't get him started on things like pH and stuff - that is oftentimes subjective and not worth arguing over with him. I've heard him going off on someone about that before and I just roll my eyes.

However, he will order anything you want! If you are looking for a particular fish, he'll get on the phone right there and try to track it down. Ignore his comments - do what you want in spite of what he might say - but this place is an excellent resource and they know how to take care of fish. They have gorgeous specimens, and great plants, too. They have great fresh live food, also, like adult brine shrimp and black worms.

I was in Lakeside Fin & Feather last weekend and it was a righteous mess. They obviously are phasing it out. I disagree that they are phasing it out due to lack of interest - I believe they lost their "fish" person, the tanks went into grave decline, and their customers went away. If they fixed things up and had healthy tanks, it would inspire customers to set up tanks, even if they had not planned on it. I am hoping they'll do something with the Broad St. store.

I highly recommend Atlantis and Fish World. I do not have a SW setup, but I have dealt with Fish World for supplies, and they are GREAT to deal with. I got a load of base rock from them as well as special cichlid sand for an African setup, and they really wanted my business, even though I was not a salty. Great shop.

Don't forget there is a Fin & Feather in Ashland - they typically have much better fish selection, since whoever is running things up there knows what they are doing and cares about the tanks. I am assuming this is still the case since the last time I was there.

13. LemonDiscus

I did actually buy a few plants from Keith the other day.... well, his assistant that works for him. I did like him! I had to go there to get a good specimen of Crypt and some Microsword..... I think he is the only place in Richmond with Microsword in stock.... And his Crypt was nice!!! It has not melted much in my tank at all! I lost like 4 leaves to the "Crypt Melt".

I was forced to go there knowing he has the best aquatic plant selection.

Fin and Feather, I still prefer them! They get me anything I want.... the bad part is I have to wait til Monday to find out as they dont talk to their supplier til then.

They do keep a list for me and if something I want comes up they let me know!

The "fish" guy there now (the tall guy) is really good, seems to be still learning some though but arent we all! My favorite guy there is the shorter guy with black hair! He is great and helps me with anything I need and answers questions with A LOT of knowledge. Although I think I have pushed him to his limit :)

14. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Are you talking about the owner Melvin? He spends most of his time at the Broad Street store now. I buy a lot of stuff from him.. I went in there friday night and noticed that the blue parrott "Blue" from Pet Club is in there now. Apparantly Pet Club is now officially going out of business and they sold the Parrott to Fin and Feather on Broad Street. May be a good time to visit the Pet Club and buy out some of their inventory!!!! :)

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

do you know if they are selling their tanks??

16. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I was wondering the same thing. I was at Fin and Feather last night and melvin said they have already closed the doors. I'm not sure if they have already been sold or not. I would be interested in picking up a few myself! He bought their Parrot but I didnt see where he had bought any of their tanks...

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

dang... that's horrible. i really loved pet club.

18. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, I liked them too.

19. LemonDiscus

So Pet Club closed the Hugenot location too!?!?

20. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Thats what I was told.