1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

My new shrimpie friends

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by James0816, Sep 3, 2010.

1. James0816

James0816 Thread Starter New Member

Small glimmer of hope.

So assessing the damage from this mornings power outage. Figured I would check things out just to ensure that all is lost. Started out in the higher tank. I noticed a couple of the zoea still moving around! Wow.

Needless to say, the tanks have to be reset due to the amount of casulties that are in there. So, I pulled out from the 1.014 tank that I could find that showed signs of life. I'm pretty sure I missed some, but there really wasn't much I could do about it. I moved those to a temporary container while I cleaned the old tank. Put in fresh water and phyto and then transferred them back in. All seems well at the moment.

Moved to the low salt tank. Didn't see anything moving in there. I decided to stir it up and see what happens. I found some movement! Kewlness! I picked up a couple in the dropper and transferred them into the high tank.

Here's where it got a little interesting. I would drop a zoea into the tank. It would start to twitch. Like curl up in a ball. It would do this a couple of times and then straighten out and float around. I only moved about 10 in at this time. They are hovering around in the back corner near the light source. I'll go back in a little bit and check on them and see what's going on.

I didn't reset the low tank at this time. I'm debating on if I should try to find more and transfer or just wash the tank.

2. James0816

Golden Pearls arrived today. I'm starting with 50-100 and 100-200 micros. I've never used this before so this should be interesting.

I put a smidgeon of an amount in water and mixed thoroughly. Wow, that little bit made quite a bit. Not sure if I can keep it for a spell or not.

There doesn't appear to be too many zoea left in both tanks but I added it anyway. I'm getting ready to go back down there and check on things.

Another impact from the power outage....female dropped her eggs. :(

3. James0816

Hard to find any zoea that may have made it. Even the ones I thought might have had a chance. I think this round may be officially called. I'll give it another day and see if i can find anything.

A couple things to note:

- Phyto is going to get really dark in there. Maybe the addition of Rotifers will help control that a bit as they will munch on it.

- Golden Pearls seem like they might get messy after a couple of days. It appears to get clumped up after a spell. May need to feed and then try to clean the bottom after a bit.

I'm starting to rething my design too. Right now I have one air inlet into the tank. Just not sure that is providing the current I want. I'm thinking of going with two air inlets cross corner from each other. Hopefully that will reduce possible dead spots.

On a side note, Amano's came in today. Awesome addition to the project. They just finished acclimating and entered their new home. Now to see how they will do with Otos and their eggs. I put them in the holding tank since it is bigger and the plan is that they will help keep the feeding tiddied up as I know I am over feeding but have to with the amount of babes in there at the moment.

4. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

so anything new?