1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Nassarius Snail Bursts Out of Sand to Find Food!

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by michael, Jun 27, 2015.

1. michael

michael Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

The Nassarius Snail lives below the sand much of the time, sifting through the rubble for edible food within the sediment. It has its antenna, known as a "syphon" above the sand at times to determine what is happening above. If it senses that there is food in the vicinity of the surface, the Nassarius Snail will burst out from under the sand in order to capture and eat the food! The Nassarius Snail may also travel across the sand and move along the aquarium glass in order to find food. However, it is not generally a glass and algae cleaner. After it has finished looking and eating, the Nassarius Snail will return below the stand and stay there until the next time it wishes to surface.

Attached Files:

2. betta

betta Administrator Staff Member

That's a pretty amazing move of a Nassarius snail! I love them and they are fun to watch. They do get lost under the sand for long periods of time, though. I find that they are fascinating when they are above sand with their antenna waving around madly like a bland man with a walking stick or cane. I worry about snail death though because when they die, they smell terrible!