1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Opinions?

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Jamison St, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jamison St

Jamison St Thread Starter New Member

I was thinking about getting a red oscar, an electric blue jack, and a salvini. Would all be in a 90 gal. Do you think this setup could work? Please give me all of your opinions or experiences!!

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I don't think that would be enough room for all three to be honest, they are all large fish and aggressive maybe pick two but not all three.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jamison St

I realise it might be pushing it. But a salvini doesn't get too big. Maybe six inches. And most jds (especially the electric blue) are very timid and also like to hide in caves. I think it might be able to work and be an awesome setup. But im just going on what I've read. I have no experience haha

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

I agree.
    For their size, they can be quite aggressive and mean towards other fish, even fish that are much larger than they are.

If you decide to go with this setup, my advice to you is to get all the fish very young and about the same size, that way they can "grow up" together. If there is any aggression between them, be prepaired to rehome one (or more) and/or upgrade to a larger tank.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jamison St

You both confirmed what I was thinking I just like hearing others opinions. Ive heard stories that electric blues usually dont live past three years. That made me sad those are beautiful fish

6. mancave1

mancave1 Member

If you do get all 3 they will outgrow the 90 gal quickly and then the fight begins .

7. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Totally agree with this statement about fish! Never underestimate a fish due to size lol When I was keeping Africans (a mix of Malawi and Tanganyikans), a couple of P.Demasoni came into my possession. A couple times when I came home from work, one of my larger cichlids would be dead. After the second one died I started to really pay attention to the tank, and I would watch as the larger of the Demasoni would come out of his cave and attack another fish for no reason whatsoever. I couldn't believe that a fish was taking out other fish twice their size, one by one!

8. Jamison St

Thanks guys. I think I might just play it safe and house the oscar with a severum and maybe a pleco or a few silver dollars. Dont want any unneeded stress on the fish!

• Like Like x 2
  9. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

I think that would be the best way to go right now...good decision