1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Orange CPO Crayfish in 5 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by michael, Jan 18, 2015.

1. michael

michael Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

Just got 3 beautiful little Orange CPO Crayfish (also known as Mexican Crayfish) and put them in my 5 gallon tank. It's a bit small for CPO crayfish but I have a ton of hiding places for them and it's rather well organized. I also have a Cherry Red Shrimp inside and they all seem to get along pretty well. I'll be posting some photos soon. In the meanwhile, here is what I have.

CPO-Crayfish.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. michael

michael Thread Starter Administrator Staff Member

I was going to mention that part of the success I'm having is by adding in a bunch of rocks with lots of hiding spaces and the use of 2 shrimp flats or shrimp tubes with at least 3-5 tubes each. I also created 2 additional single tubes and some hiding places as you'll see in my tank. These guys love to climb although they prefer plants, such as java moss. They also like other bushy plants. They never stop trying to crawl up the sides of the glass. What is interesting is that once they hit the surface, they never want to penetrate it and go beyond. I have heard stories of CPO crayfish climbing out of aquariums but that has not happened to me. In fact, I doubt that they will, even if given the chance.

• Like Like x 1