1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Small Planted Tank Setup Guide

Discussion in 'Aquarium Articles' started by MOD_Dawn, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

really late but I've nvr had trouble with plants, stick them in the water and they thrive XD I hardly ever have my light on as well. Indestructable plants ftw! I'm thinking of getting some java moss or fern or whatever they're called, the ones that float you know, any advice on keeping them? All my bettas eat anything that floats so yeah...

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

affix it with fishing string to driftwood....
    is all that comes to mind.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

driftwood is such a pain though -B- Maybe I can make a barrier out of bamboo plants or something to make it not drift

4. MOD_Dawn

ime bamboo plants won't last fully submerged.

Not sure how driftwood is a pain (mount to slate and tie the moss.fern with fishing string)?

Or you could get a decoration and affix it to that (have java fern that rooted itself to a aquarium cave decoration in the tank).

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I can't actually find bamboo that's fully submerged, the leaves are always above the water, an ornament is a good idea though. Need to buy the stupid plant first XD the java fern in a ball, how well does it grow? I'm not sure if I can find any loose ones being sold :/

6. MOD_Dawn

I think your talking about a marimo ball (moss ball)...I've never seen java fern in a ball>>marimo moss ball (yes) & java MOSS (yes)..but the java moss is attached to a styrofoam ball with adhesive???

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Maybe, I have no idea XD I just buy sturdy looking plants. I seriously don't know the nammes of any of my plants except for bamboo :/

8. MOD_Dawn

You might run into issues without knowing about them (some are grow best in acidic, others neutral and others high pH...also they will have varying light requirements and growth rates)...IF you want them to be healthy your best bet is testing your water and knowing your lightings wpg so you can put the "correct" plants in there that will do great, rather than struggle and die.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hmmmm I still have those plant tags, but I think they're fine :/ The only leaves that ever die from them are ones I've snapped ^^; I'll go and look them up a bit, but I think they're doing fine.

10. Philsy

Philsy Member

11. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

It gets VERY tricky in small tanks that I will totally agree with