1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Things You Should Know About DISCUS

Discussion in 'Discus' started by MOD_Dawn, Jul 12, 2009.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

oh, okay..I was thinking it said not to use carbon at all..I already knew about the leaching and holding baddys if you let it sit and collect in the tank.

I change mine every 14 days and rinse the cartridges once a week.

I agree with the stocking and common sense bit. Sad, that not many people seem to have it these days though.

I have a theory..people either get brains or common sense- not both. Haha!

2. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

My theory on that is people are just plain stupid now. I blame MTV. Ive worked with all types and it seems that common sense,brains and motivation are gifted occurrences.

3. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

You two are funny! I've just found that it is not as difficult to keep them as a lot of these internet articles say it is. Again, clean water, clean water, heat, and more clean water is the only thing special I do. I have 2 filters on my tank both with Carbon in them that is changed regularly. I also keep gravel in both my main discus tank and QT tank with no issues.

4. MOD_Dawn

yeppers, I thought it was going to be a nightmare the way Ryan (lemondiscus) was telling it...to me it's just as easy as keeping any other fish. Keep the water warm, give them weekly clean dechlorinated water, and feed them well.

Pretty much the same as ANY other fish out there (only difference I notice is the odd flat rounded shape and bit of a larger size than some of the other fish I've kept in the past).

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

I compare discus keeping to a larger salt tank, keep the parameters in check, clean fresh water and possibly some additives if you use RO/DI water and thats about it.

I dont keep substrate in my QT just because its easier to clean when its done being used (total wipe out to factory fresh clean) but discus are at home in planted tanks, they adore and thrive in it plants require a good planting medium and room to root out, bare bottom tanks with potted plants dont do that.
    Substrate is a vital part of their longevity and stress release, they root around in it if its light like mine. Discus use a feeding method other fish dont and thats blowing the food off the bottom, in a BB tank that food is immediately covered by bacteria on the bottom, this is bad both for the fish and the bacteria in the BB tank.

BB is for those that dont understand the cycle of life.

6. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I do not keep discus but always love this thread.. So much knowledge and common sense is detected by those who post. WhiteDevil I agree with your Father. Quite a bit has changed over the past 50 years with aquariums as far as mechanics but basics are still in place. Then again you can say that in all kinds of areas not just with aquarium. Without threads like tis progress would never be made. It gives information and makes you think. Thank you all.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

We still use UGF filters even, they do work awesome if you set them up right. however people out there say they are terrible, they are infact one of the best biological filters ever made. The trick is to reverse the flow, instead of drawing down, you pump water into and under it. Dawn wouldnt have her Pangio's if it wasnt for the UGF plate.

8. MOD_Dawn

hey, the pangios are loving the water wisteria..you really need to put some in for yours!

And I agree about things changing and the basics still being their...after all your bascially doing your best attempt to mock their original environment. Research and common sense being key...and good equipment-- especially when it comes to filtration!

9. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I was in the hobby for many years before powerheads were readily available. UGF was tubing with holes in the tube and L and T connectors that you would have to figure out the design by yourself and get the strongest air pump you could find. They were the messiest filter but kept the fish alive. Of course the corner box filter with carbon and floss was still in the tank also. HOB filters and canisters were out of the ball park for a kids budget.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

For sure, yeah I remember when PH's were stupid expensive 20+ years ago.
    Alot used to use transfer pumps to create this as well.

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I'm talking 1966 over 40 years ago. OMG it's been that long

12. WhiteGloveAquatics

I owned a 1966 Chevy II, man what a car.

I was born in 1980, in 1966,,,dad was born in 57, I wasnt even a seedling yet.

13. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I was born Thanksgiving day 1957 in Blue Island Il. St francis Hospital.

14. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I actually have a feeding question regarding earthworms. Have any of you tried feeding these to your Discus? I've read they are really high in protein and i'm having a hard time finding frozen beef heart lately. If you have fed them how do you clean them and what are the risks of feeding them? :)

15. WhiteGloveAquatics

wonder where my post went.

I got family or had family from blue island, around that time frame.

16. WhiteGloveAquatics

Risks are where you collect them

Usually earthworms are used for livebearers as it super enhances the quality of developing fry.

Frozen beefhear I find everywhere in the SFBB brand which sucks but I order mine from new jersey as its a great and eagerly accepted by all my fish especially the discus. <a class="postlink" href="http://www.discusmadness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.discusmadness.com</a>

I havnt tried to feed to the discus but I have the angels and they tore it up, it and all pieces were gone by the time they got to the gravel.

17. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

I always feed beefheart but the store I get it from hasn't had any in over a month! None of the other local stores have had any.

18. MOD_Dawn

I don't do the beefheart..I do the frozen Hikari Bloodworms and man do they sure love em!

Haven't tried feeding the earthworms yet, honestly just not feeling the process of collecting...dirt...slime..u get the point I'm sure. LoL!

19. WhiteGloveAquatics

The beefheart is where its at for discus, especially breeders.
    Like I said Hikari is the cleanest leanest beefheart out there.

20. jrow8162

jrow8162 Member

Yeah, I prefer feeding them beefheart. I may just end up ordering some online.