1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Water Problems Water Mold...

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by MasterBlue, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Thread Starter Active Member

So, it looks like I got water mold in the 40 gallon... In some of the potted planted pot's gravel. It's water has stayed cloudy after a number of water changes and other treatments. So I'm thinking of tearing it down and putting it to the side till I get a new stand.

But what I need to ask, what to do about this mold. The fish seem still in great health, aside from a decrease in drops.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd simply pull the potted plants that are affected, allow water to "settle" and then do a 50% water change if I were you.
    Mold usually comes from excess food/excess waste...so I'd keep up with regular partials and watch how much your feeding.

3. MasterBlue

Feeding is actually below what it should be. And then the mold is only in the planted pots in one side of the tank. Pulling the 30$ worth of plants and trashing them. Gunna do a like 80% partial. I may not fill it back up.
    It's too heavy for the stand, so now I need to break it down anyway ...

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sorry to hear, I know what a pain it is when *censored* goes wrong.
    the old saying when it rains it pours I swear was made just for me at times so I completely understand your probable frustration.

I know you had barely enough room for just the tank in your room, but if you find space for a tank stand and plan on resetting it up I'd try somewhere like CL to score one for CHEAP.

I'd also do a 15:1 plain clorox:tap water disinfection on the tank since your breaking it down completely anyways. That way when/if you reuse it it'll be like starting with a brand new tank without any worries of disease/mold/what have you.

5. MasterBlue

My step father is a carpenter (btw, my last name is Carpenter o.o; ), so if I pay for materials and help him out some I can likely get it that way.

I'll need a solid custom for all I want to do. Have this 40 gallon and two of the tens set up, along with the three gallon, and the hexagon 2.5. As well as shelf space and some holders for air pumps etc.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nice, 2x4's are what most use in addition to some bracing of course...but materials still add up!

Sounds like your planning on an all in one stand? If so I'd make it like a 42" lengthwise to give you a bit of hangover.
    Main 40g on top (if it's a breeder 36x18x16)...
    two tens fitting snugly side by side on the 2nd (20x10x12)
    third being your three gallon, hexagon, and leftover space for maybe a bin for foods/chemicals/etc
    and if you leave some space beneath the third .... kinda like a panel that can be opened you could hide your airpumps down there and powerstrips.

AND if you leave enough space at the top of each shelf you could mount shop lights for your lighting (being cheap, low to no maint, and replacement bulbs being easy to find and also cheap).

I'm envisioning it, but not sure if you can..or at least the same way I am thinking of it being done. LoL! (basically an open armoire/bookcase/fish tank rack style build that's simple, yet purposeful without wasting any space).

7. MasterBlue

More or less what I was thinking of.
    Might draw out the plans and post them in the guppy strain post of mine.