1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

what are you doing today that is tank related?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by eeyipes, Aug 12, 2008.

1. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

They are liking it a lot. They've got 3 little fake plants to suckle/hide on, fist size piece of driftwood, 2 shells, a corse rock and fine gravel. They're both only about an inch long so sometimes tryng to find them is a little hard at times.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

The little boogers now how to hide that's for sure lol

3. buzz4520

They sure do, we found one in one of the seashells all ready . It was M I A for about a day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. buzz4520

Water changes & filter maintenance.
    Broke down the C-360 to clean it, noticed that the polishing pad is looking really ragged so instead of going out and buying a new one ( IMO they wear out too easy, last one didn't last a year), I made one out of some filter material (from Marineland).

5. HBIC

I use pillow stuffing can't remember what the actual name of it is though, I know there are certain kinds that you can't use as well.

6. buzz4520

I use the same filter material (cut to fit) in my Aqueon h.o.b's. as well. I've never used any pillow stuffing/filler before.

7. HBIC

It works really well, I wish I could remember the brand name that I use.

8. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance.

9. buzz4520

10. buzz4520

Got a new filter for the 150g this week, Marineland C-360, got it hooked up and running. Along with that we moved/changed some of the other filters on the other tanks.
    On the 150g, replaced the Magnum 350 with the new C-360.
    On the 55g, replaced oneof the Aqueon 55's with the Magnum 350.
    On the 20g, replaced the Aqueon 30 with the Magnum H.O.T 250 which came off the 150g.

Filters we're running now:
    150g has : 2 x C-360's, 1 x A/C 110
    55g has: 1 x Magnum 350, 1 x Aqueon 55 h.o.b.
    20g has: 1 x Magnum h.o.t 250
    10g has: 1 x A/C 30

11. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance. Cleaned tank glass and hoods.

• Like Like x 1
  12. buzz4520

Water changes. Moved the decor around in some of the tanks. Got some new silk plants for the 20g.

13. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance. Also moved some fish around between the 10g, 20g, and 55g.

14. buzz4520

Water changes and filter maintenance. Also cleaned the glass.

15. buzz4520

Seeing that today is Fathers Day, all I have to do is feed the fish, my wife and oldest son are going to do the water changes and filter maintenance on our 10g, 20g, 55g. I took care of the 150g yesterday.

16. betta

betta Administrator Staff Member

I wish I had that kind of room to have 4 tanks, especially that 150g. I'll be moving shortly and am glad to be able to get the 55 gallon that I have an eye on. I miss having my cichlids, which are some of my favorite fish. While the small guys are cute and I do love my bettas, I think the larger fish have a bit more personality. Perhaps from having larger brains? I'm not sure but cichlids can definitely have personality.

As today is father's day, as you mentioned, I'll be doing the weekly water change on my betta tank, which requires it. The filter doesn't really need to be cleaned except for once per month, which doesn't get too dirty because it's about 3.5 gallons and I remove my betta's occasional "gifts" as soon as I spot it with a suction (actually a turkey baster but it works great for such a purpose, :D )

air_na_amazon_adsystem_com_e_ir_1cb57fe59f3c818c72ba329c084e1e75._.gif turkey-baster.jpg

17. buzz4520

Yeah we did luck out with the layout that we have now : the 10g sits in a built in hutch in the front living room, 20g is in a corner of the dinning room, the 55g & 150g (6 footer) both are in out back living room. Our old house was half the size of this one and we still managed to have a 10g in the kitchen/dinning room and 55g & 125g (6 footer) in the living room.
    We've got a couple turkey basters too that we used to clean up our fry tank (when we had African mbuna cichlids) and to feed our African Dwarf Frogs.

18. guppyguy

guppyguy New Member

This is so funny. I use turkey basters too for my guppy tanks. They are only 20 gallon tanks and they are in my extra room. I also have a 10 gallon tank that is in the living room that everyone admires and doesn't take up too much room and take away from the entertainment system. I think they ought to just rename it to fish poop plunger or something like that and they would double their sales! :D

That is a very impressive group of tanks. While I have 3 tanks, I think guppies are much easier to maintain than the cichlids and also amphibians. I always wanted to get some dwarf frogs but I found that leaving the guppies with their own kept them living longer. They are great fish but keeping them beautiful usually means not having too much else in the tank that gets in the way like harmless neon tetras.

19. betta

betta Administrator Staff Member

I'll be uploading some pictures of the equipment I have into the brand new showcase that the site is getting for tanks, equipment and more. Hopefully we can also share some of our fun DIY stuff as well. For me, it's mostly been CO2 equipment.

20. buzz4520

Back in November we got a new C-360 canister filter for our 150g, it started leaking when it was shut off (unplugged during tank maintenance or if the power went out), so I checked it out and discovered that it was an internal leak. I called Marineland and told them what was going on with it and gave them the date code from under one locking ears on the motor head. They told me that there was a manufacturing issue with some of the c-360 series motor heads and that they would send me a new one. After being on hold for about a minute the woman I was talking to came back on and told me that right now they are out of the c-360 motor heads and are going to send me a c-530 as a replacement filter and all I have to do is send them my bad c-360 motor head.
    Now we're running a c-530, c-360 (2yrs and no issues yet), a/c 110 on the 150g. My 3 Oscars and 2 plecos are really liking the current coming out of the c-530, they all hang out more on that side of the tank. My rainbow shark usually hangs out on the other side of the tank, I think he's still intimidated by they oscars