1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

What to do with Spawning Angelfish

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by LemonDiscus, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i wish i could be there! i cant wait for mine to spawn... right now i have 2 pair that are fighting over the breeding slate, and cleaning the tank... im getting excited... how long after they start cleaning do the start spawning? anyone know?

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

It all varies... they clean and usually withing a week they will spawn...

My Discus though paired... cleaned... and then broke their bond and NEVER spawned.... Angels could do the same thing too...

Pairing is the first step.. just cause they pair does not mean they will actually spawn though... So it is impossible to give an answer on how long it takes after cleaning an area....

Also the fish MUST be about 1 year old to actually spawn... 1.5 years old is a bit better as they are a bit more mature and could be better parents and know what they are doing a bit better...

3. AngelFishBreeder

AngelFishBreeder New Member

are the parents supposed to eat the white eggs?

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:05 pm hmm...

4. AngelFishBreeder

i guess no one knows? :(

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Thread Starter Active Member

Yes they do eat the white ones.. .those are no good...

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

As Ryan has already told you the white ones are infertile/fungus and no good...if they didn't eat them then the "white" ones would ruin the remaining fertile "good" ones.

7. AngelFishBreeder

my angels keep eating their eggs what can i do they have had like 10+ attempts all eaten getting frustrating =/

8. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Just let them keep at it, they will get it. It took mine that many attempts at least :)

9. williemcd

williemcd New Member

Angels breeding. My account goes against a ton of the advice rendered here. Aug. 6 I watched my 6" orange/koi marble and a 4" silver utilize the intake on a HOB for their spawning site. The male koi is a very experienced papa. The silver has gone thru one spawn that I lost due to turning off the light on night 2. Two days later and a couple of hours (total 54) at a temp of 86, I noted they had moved the eggs and they were wigglers!..The parents and fry are in a heavily planted 125G long. The pair have now moved the fry 3 times all within a of one foot. Momma and Poppa keep the rest of the fish (24 or so) contained in about the other 50% of the tank. 12 of the "other" fish are adult angels with the rest being some tet's and plecos. I'm now on day 5 and guess there are about 5 dozen wigglers. Bill in Va.

10. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

My F1's did the same thing,willieMCD. I was very amazed to say the least at how well they parented, I got lucky and they were PRO on the first spawn. I do advise to pull the fry out so they grow their fins properly.

11. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

I have had 2 females lay eggs together on 1 stone and 1 male fertilized all of them. My recent pair lay about every 6 to 7 days but I just let them eat the eggs at this time as not set up to raise fry at this time. At one point I had 7 breeding pairs but also had 30 tanks running.