1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

20 gallon long with Angelfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by MOD_Dawn, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Thread Starter Active Member

I should NOT be allowed on the computer when bored :)

;)Well I rather unexpectedly won an aquabid lot the other day, so it looks like I have (gold crested) Angels coming my way (if they arrive okay that is).

:cool: I am going on record now to state that if they arrive alive this will be my LAST attempt with angelfish.

Years back I successfully kept three teeny marble veiltails, which later developed into a breeding pair of marble veiltails that attacked and killed the other veiltail (in addition to just about every other tankmate that was kept with them). The tank (at that time) was a 55gallon.

Not that far back I made a couple attempts at keeping Koi Angelfish, that unexpectedly died off one by one. The only thought I could come up with is the low Ph (6.0)?

Any advice (besides constantly mucking with the Ph) and i'm all ears!

2. MOD_Dawn

Re: 20 gallon long

If they arrive okay I'll be taking the advice given to me by a friend: barebottom, sponge filter, heater.

I'm thinking of keeping the temperature at 80F?
    Will that be okay? ...I worry about ich when it comes to angels.

I plan on feeding them New Life Spectrum Freshwater Optimum, Frozen Baby Brine Shrimp, and probably Frozen Bloodworms.

Water Changes will be done on the same regimen as the 90g, which is weekly...but I'm planning on doing a bit higher of a percentage...thinking 50-60% at a time and only using Seachem Prime as far as additives go.

3. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

My ph is at 6 straight from the tap and I add kettapang to many of my tanks and the angels do fine, the low ph shouldn't matter.

4. MOD_Dawn

that's what I thought too (meaning ph shouldn't matter as long as they were properly acclimated)....but that was the only thing I could think of that might have affected them? I know 1 had hexamita, but after treating they looked better then dropped off 1 by 1. This was the thread I dug up from at that time--> Koi angelfish with hexamita stringy white poo

aren't the kettapang leaves the same as oak leaves? know nothing about that stuff other than the tannins they release.

5. HBIC

Kettapang is sorta like oak leaves only the oak leaves do little other than release tannins. The kettapang actually releases a natural "stress reliever" into the water as well as produce infusoria.

6. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I think the are more like almond leaves as far as what they do in an aquarium.
    They are sometimes called Indian Almond Leaves in the trade magazines.

Rick

7. MOD_Dawn

thanks for the info guys :)

> Didn't have time to order a small'ish heater so ran to petsmart and grabbed a 100w aqueon pro heater that was on sale for $33.99

Aquarium heaters are way overpriced imo! But at least this one fits nicely on the side wall and doesn't take almost the entire back wall like the previous rena one did.

8. MOD_Dawn

according to the tracking, it looks like they'll be here tomorrow :D

Luckily, the tanks all ready!

The angels will be coming with some assorted plants and a few red ramshorn snails too carrot

IMG_2581.JPG

9. HBIC

Almond leaves, indian almond leaves, kettapang, cattapa their all the same.

10. MOD_Dawn

The angelfish arrived (14 gold crested Angel fish), I know I have way too many but I figure I'll let them size up some and try putting a few in the 90g (or possibly trading them at the lfs) ;)

I even received an extra, the black and white one (so that makes 15 if everyone does ok) :D

Also received in:
    [*]red ramshorns (I'll allow them to breed in here at will to use clown loach snacks).
    [*]moss- java and christmas (I simply used a terra cotta pot to kinda hold it in place a bit)
    [*]dwarf chains (went to the 90g)
    [*]Round leaf Pellia, Floating Ricca, & Najas Grass (never kept and unfamilar with so just left them float)

IMG_2593.JPG IMG_2589.JPG IMG_2587.JPG IMG_2583.JPG IMG_2582.JPG

11. HBIC

Very pretty I went through an angel stage and had probably 100 or better, I am down to one blue pinoy. Najas grass is guppy grass so do just as you did let it float.

12. MOD_Dawn

wow, 100! What size tank did you keep them in (or were there multiple tanks)?

I've yet to see a blue pinoy in person, the fish stores in my area pretty much simply carry the marbled, blush, or koi's. Sometimes you'll come across a scarce few of the white/gold ones that are kinda like what I have now...If I had a bigger tank I'd love to have gotten a pair of veiltails!

So far, all seem to be adjusting well (I'm trying to keep my hopes low though to avoid possible disappointment).

I'm keeping the tank between 77.8-77.9F according to the tom digital thermometer ;)

13. HBIC

They were spread throughout ten tanks

14. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Use all females for the 90g, all males is alot of fighting and a mix puts the discus at risk and other fish for wounds from the angels. (Why I removed em ALL yes all 13 of them from the 210)

I like em though, lets get em bigger and see what they look like, im sure ill srcape some cash up to buy a few off ya.

15. MOD_Dawn

sounds good, and someone on here (if they make it) will have to sex them...no clue on angels (with the ones from the 55g, they simply paired off and took out the 3rd angel). Lol!

16. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

very nice looking group of angels.

17. MOD_Dawn

seem finicky on eating,
    I tried frozen baby brine (appeared to pick a bit after it completely dissolved from bottom of tank) & tried new life spectrum freshwater optimum flakes and didn't see them go after it.

I thought (from what I recall) that angels were aggressive feeder??

18. HBIC

Some are some aren't just depends on the fish IME. Sexing them isn't going to be easy, the ones I had that were similar to yours the males all developed HUGE nuchal humps but that doesn't mean yours will.

19. MOD_Dawn

I just wish I could find something that they seem to like (food wise).
    seems like these lil' ones are bottom feeders oddly enough...anyone got food recommendations that work well for small angels (besides frozen baby brine, new life spectrum freshwater optimum flake, ocean nutrition discus flake, and ocean nutrition spirulina flakes, and even gave some other frozen foods a whirl). Once I get ahold of the lfs I'll be getting more frozen bloodworms in and will probably give that a try?

20. MOD_Dawn

Update...the angels are doing great so far and have accepted the new life spectrum flake.
    Bloodworms will be added again once I give in and order them being I'm finally out of my rations. lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.